Process: BALANCE

Balance

Created some kind of structure utilising only chairs, with the main goal to achieve a level of balance, to visually demonstrate the given process of 'balance'.

Clay glaze colours

Colours

Liked the generally muted, warm and earthy colours of the glazes

Sculpture of the Female body (1 & 2)

The ceramic sculpture reminded me of the material I was given, which was clay. In addition, I interpreted the white discolouration on the body as a broken, very fitted casting (or mould), that gave way to the bronze skin underneath to be expressed.

(Photographed from Ceramics Art and Perception Issues 95-98, 2014)

Corset Advertisement

Sculpture of the Female body

Material: CLAY

Clay bowl: Liked the warm colour of the bowl, as well as its simplistic and balanced structure.

Material 1: Reminded me of the clay bowl, and linked to the organic nature of the clay material

Structural drawing

Structural drawing

I liked how the contour lines of the shapes left an impression of balance, structural integrity and stability. 

Theme: FEMINISM

Femininity (Susan Brownmiller)
“Femininity always demands more.”
“Must constantly reassure its audience by a willing demonstration of difference, even when one does not exist in nature.”
Men have ‘defined’ the apparent ‘feminine need’ to be praised
“To be insufficiently feminine is viewed as a failure in core sexual identity,”

Feminine identity is seen as competitive and a challenge to females

A traditionally imposed social norm
‘A romantic sentiment’

The Corset

I found that this historical fashion piece related to my theme of feminism, as it acts like a mould for the female body, to shape it to the feminine ideal of the Victorian Era. This in turn, demonstrates the oppression of the natural expressions of women, yet also may be seen as an advertised empowerment expression in the old era. Thus, this correlates to the idea of how my given material of clay can be utilised to create a mould and be moulded into whatever shape possible. 

Corset Advertisement

From Bloomingdale's Illustrated 1886 Catalog. The tagline, 'the Good Sense Waist is Best for All of Us,' highlights how female had a set social ideal and norm for them, in the form of wearing the suppressive and painful corset. 

Sculpture of the Female body

Mixed media sculpture

Mixed media sculpture

Correlated to the idea of moulds, with its manipulation of material and substance into a particular form, as this sculpture reminded me of the small figurines used specifically for drawing figures. 

Illustration for conceptualisation of idea